I spent many nights, glued to my iPad watching all the YouTube videos that I could on Interstitial Cystitis, hoping that I’d find a cure for this terrible, debilitating bladder disease.
The constant feeling of not being able to get rid of what seemed to be a full-blown bladder infection, accompanied by excruciating pelvic spasms used to drive me crazy! I just couldn’t function properly; simple daily tasks became so difficult. I felt as though I spent most of my time on the toilet. I used to stuff a hot water bottle inside my jeans, against my pelvic area just to ease the pain, while cooking, doing my house work. watching a film, it was terrible!
Even though I had been told by three different doctors that there was no cure for IC and to take pain killers all my life, I just couldn’t and wouldn’t accept it. I believed in my heart, that this awful disease could be reversed and that my body WAS capable of healing, given the right fuel.
So, I began putting my faith into practice, and looked to God as my physician (Luke 8:43 – 44).
While reading and studying the foods in the Bible, I realized just how far from healthy we had all become. Many years ago people were far more physically active than we are today. They only ate fresh, organic, whole foods. They tilled the land, grew their own crops, made their own cheeses and ate fresh ripe fruits straight from the trees. Time was taken to prepare wonderfully nutritious meals. And then, they would spend the rest of the evening eating together as a family, enjoying one anothers company.
But nowadays, we do the complete opposite. We have so many distractions, we don’t have time to think, we’re always under pressure, and we’re always feeling under the weather. Many of the foods we eat are highly processed. We drive everywhere, even to the corner shop. We spend far too many hours infront of a computer screen and then end the day slummped on a sofa for hours in front of a television screen. So as you can see this is a recipe for disaster.
So I decided to take control, make some positive changes, and today I’m feeling so much better!
Don’t believe anyone that says there is no cure for IC. There is always a way to heal your body. Everyone is different and what works for one may not work for another. Your health really does depend on how you look after yourself mentally, physically, and spiritually. DON’T take your health for granted; keep your IMMUNE SYSTEM STRONG, by eating real foods and doing some form of exercise, and it will be better able to protect you from most western inflammatory diseases.
Here are some of my top tips for healing:
What To START Doing
- Drink plenty of water, herbal teas- dandelion, camomile, nettle, turmeric, and moringa (which I found the most helpful and alkalising).
- Make nourishing soups, stews, and broths without tinned tomatoes.
- Drink fresh home-made vegetable juice (my favourite and simple one) 1 large cucumber with 1 green apple a day.
- Eat lots of green leafy vegetables.
- Eat lots of salads.
- Eat non-acidic fruits such as blue berries, pears and watermelon.
- Eat organic natural Greek yoghurt (probiotics).
- Learn a relaxation technique.
- Breath properly from the gut, this helps relieve tension in your pelvic floor muscles.
- Try and get out of the house, take a walk in the park, meet a friend for lunch and just know that you won’t feel like this forever.
- Gently, do some pelvic floor exercises.
- Take “Waterfall D-mannose” to protect the bladder from infections.
- Take a good quality Turmeric supplement to reduce bladder inflammation.
- Keep your sugar intake low.
- It is very important that you get tested for Coeliac disease and Candida (yeast infection).
- If suffering from; IBS, Crohns, Ulcerative Colitis, etc., take Bovine Colostrum to help support the immune system and help seal and heal the gut.
What To STOP Doing
- Drinking alcohol.
- Drinking coffee and tea (they are stimulants which will irritate the bladder).
- Using tinned tomatoes (to acidic).
- Using any type of vinegar.
- Eating processed foods (sausages, bacon, white bread, etc).
- Eating anything that contains yeast.
- Eating cakes, biscuits, sweets etc.
- Holding on to negative emotions (stress, worry and guilt), as they will prevent you from healing.
What To READ
- ‘Heal Pelvic Pain’ by Amy Stein M.PT.
- ‘Painful Bladder Syndrome’ by Philip Weeks
- ‘The Better Bladder Book’ by Wendy Cohan, RN
- ‘You Don’t Have To Live With Cystitis’ by Larrian Gillespie, M.D.
Please let me know if this information has helped you,
God bless, Piera 🌸